Friday, March 26, 2010

My Story

I was recently asked to write My Story--how I became a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator, and I thought I would share it with you!  So here goes:

I was living a busy life when a dear friend invited me to a “Stampin’ Up! workshop.”  I had never heard of Stampin’ Up! and had never stamped, although I had done some crafting years ago.   Joyce was such a sweetheart that I couldn’t let her down by not attending her event even though I would be late, coming straight from work, and would not be buying anything.  I came into her house, and there were a lot of people surrounding a demonstrator (Gail, now my upline), watching her make some fantastic cards.  I was immediately mesmerized.  I had never seen anything like what was being shown.  Gail finished her demonstration and told us all to go to the various stations she had set up with “Make and Takes.”  I made a card and then a little get well gift for someone who might be under the weather or hospitalized.  I was hooked!  I thought it would be fun to make Christmas cards (this first workshop for me was in October), so I talked to Gail and placed an order (!).  I took the catalog home and pored over every page, creating a wish list a mile long.

Although life was very busy, I loved the satisfaction of making something beautiful in just a few minutes.  I loved the sense of accomplishment and well-being brought by my stamping and quickly realized that making time for stamping meant making life better.  I showed everything to my daughter, then in college.  We decided to hold a workshop of our own, which was a grand success.  Getting all those free stamps and supplies was fantastic!  Soon, we were going to stamp camps, classes, and hosting workshops regularly.  We were not only making  Christmas cards but birthday cards and lots of gifts, too, and having a blast!

My husband is a pastor and my job was beginning to conflict with my life.  What began as a part- time job (which I enjoyed) had become, mostly, a full time one.  I needed something with much more flexible hours in order to be available for my husband and the church.  I was ready to ditch the job but not the paycheck!.  In the midst of another stress-filled time (my daughter was getting married in mere weeks), I called my demonstrator and signed up, got the wedding done, and then turned in my notice at work.

Now I work my Sweet Stamper business as a full-time Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator, lovin’ what I do with the flexible hours I need and an additional income for my husband and me.  (My 3 kids are all grown and married.)  Stampin' Up! is not only a creative outlet for me (which I truly love), but also a very real source of income and stamping gear.  My daughter is also a Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator and a part of my team.  We teach our classes together for double fun!  I love sharing with others the joy of handmade, heartfelt.  Seeing the joy people receive when making something beautiful is a large part of my business energy!  And the relationships I develop with customers as well as team members is one of the most gratifying aspects of being a stamping business owner.  I began with an intent to make money while doing what I love.  I hadn't foreseen the many friendships that would be the icing on this very delicious cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment